Saturday, July 30, 2011

Only 30 more years of work, right??

We shouldn't look at it this way, but really, that's the way it feels some days.  Everyone I know has good and bad days at work, some more good than bad, some more bad than good.  The other day Lianne tells me this story about having a loogie (not sure of the spelling, definitely the first time I've ever typed that word) spit in her ear by a patient....how does that happen in a given day to anyone??  And she's pregnant and nausceous, not a great thing to help keep your tummy settled!  Several other friends have horrible co-workers (LC, I'll come and slash her tires, I don't mind!), hate their jobs in general, have a ridiculous drive (my Uncle drives almost two hours each way to work at the moment!), and so on.  But work is a necessary evil, right?  We have to have the job to get paid and keep living the lives we have and want (babies and puppies don't pay for themselves, unforunately!), but at what point do you say enough is enough?  It's only 30 more years, you can push through the bad days, no?  But when you add it up, that's a LONG time (40-50 hours a week or more for 30 years totals more than 70,200 hours of work), and should you really go through life discontent for 40-50 hours a week?  I don't know the answer, I'm actually asking.  Or, do you take the not so great work situation with a grain of salt because, at the end of the day, the rest of your life is quite lovely?  Can we overlook those 40+ hours and see the other hours we have, with our loved ones and friends, having a great time doing the things we really enjoy? 

Not sure what the point is here, really.  I'm currently considering options for going back to school in the next year or so, but will all of the work it takes to get in to school and all the work during school be worth it for the end result, a job or career doing something that makes me happier than my current job?  Obviously, no job is perfect, but will it even be better, in the long run?  Don't know, all you can do is try, right? 

In the meantime, I suppose the best thing to do is to keep plugging away, keep getting paid.  My plan is to try and make the most of the few hours out of work that I have with Mike each night and to try and do my best each day, until I really can't do it anymore.  Or until I become a published psychologist after curing Lindsay Lohan from her addictions (yes, that is plural) and making Britney understand why she needs to show more often. 

We can all dream, right?!  Just my feelings on a quiet Saturday....at work.   Carpe diem!

1 comment:

Lauren Chestnutt Coburn said...

thanks for the tire slashing support! love you! xoxo